Assistant Professor of English
Phone: (805) 565-
Office Location: Reynolds Hall 104
- 2010 PhD, English Literature, University of British Columbia
- 2005 Master of Arts, English Literature, Baylor University
- 2003 Bachelor of Arts, Magna Cum Laude, Baylor University, University Scholars
Natural Theology in the Scientific Revolution: God’s Scientists. Forthcoming from Pickering & Chatto, July 2014.
- “‘His Footstep Trace’: the Natural Theology of Paradise Lost.” Forthcoming in Milton Studies, October, 2014.
- “Milton’s Lucretian Anxiety Revisited.” Renaissance and Reformation 32.3 (2009): 79-97.
- “Wordsworth’s The Prelude as Autobiographical Epic” The Charles Lamb Bulletin 141 (2008): 13-19.
- “Beyond Parody: Satan as Aeneas in Paradise Lost.” Milton Quarterly 39.2 (2005): 82-92.
- “Pulvis et Umbra Sumus: Horace in Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises.” Hemingway Review 25.1 (2005): 120-31.
Milton Studies, vol. 41, ed. Albert C. Labriola. Christianity and Literature 54.2 (2005): 293-95.
Work in Progress
“‘The Great, Dramatic Poem of Nature’: Poetry and Natural Theology in Seventeenth-Century England.”
“‘Broken Knowledge’? Competing Conceptions of ‘Wonder’ in Bacon and Donne.”
Fellowships and Awards
- 2011-2013 Lilly Postdoctoral Fellowship in Humanities and English, Valparaiso University
- 2011-2012 Outstanding Teacher Awards, Valparaiso University Delta Delta Delta Sorority Office of Multicultural Programs
- 2009-2010 Gilean Douglas Scholarship in English, University of British Columbia
- 2008-2009 Pacific Century Graduate Scholarship, University of British Columbia
- 2006-2008 University Graduate Fellowships, University of British Columbia
- 2005-2006 Graduate Entrance Scholarship, University of British Columbia
- 2005 Charles G. Smith Outstanding Graduate Student Award, Baylor University
- 1999-2003 Regent’s Scholarship, Baylor University
2014-2015 Visiting Assistant Professor, Westmont College, Santa Barbara, CA
ENG 046: British Literature to 1800
ENG 006: Studies in Literature (Rise of Science)
ENG 002: Composition
2013-2014 Instructor, Gordon College, Wenham, MA
COR 107: The Great Conversation / University Writing
ENG 141: Western Literature
2012-2013 Lecturer, Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, IN
Christ College 115: Texts and Contexts II
Christ College 115: John Milton’s Paradise Lost
ENGL/CC 300: Literature and Science
ENGL 420: Literature of the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries
2011-2012 Lecturer, Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, IN
Christ College 115: Texts and Contexts II
Christ College 115: The Rise of Science
ENGL/CC 300: Milton and His World
2010-2011 Lecturer, University of British Columbia
ENGL 112: Strategies for University Writing
ENGL 221: British Literature, 1800-present
2008 Doctoral Teaching Fellow, University of British Columbia
ENGL 110: Approaches to Literature (Christianity and Literature)
2005-2010 Teaching Assistant, University of British Columbia
ENGL 354: Renaissance literature (Milton with Dennis Danielson)
ENGL 349: Renaissance literature (metaphysical poetry with P.G. Stanwood)
ENGL 354: Renaissance literature (Milton with P.G. Stanwood)
ENGL 347: Renaissance literature (Sir Philip Sidney with Stephen Guy-Bray)
ENGL 121: Rhetoric (with a focus on the rhetoric of health and medicine)
ENGL 110: Approaches to Literature (the fiction/nonfiction divide)
ENGL 110: Approaches to Literature (20th-century American)
2004-2005 Instructor, Baylor University
ENG 1305: Thinking and Writing
ENG 1306: Thinking, Writing, and Research
2003-2004 Consultant, Writing Center, Baylor University
“‘The Boy and the Watch-Maker’: John Bunyan’s Book for Boys and Girls and Natural Theology.” International John Bunyan Society Seventh Triennial Conference. Princeton, NJ. August 2013.
“The Storybook of Nature: John Ray’s The Wisdom of God, 1691.” Conference on Christianity and Literature. Grand Rapids, MI, April 2012.
“Three Ways of Reading ‘Two Books’: John Wilkins, John Ray and Richard Bentley.” The Bible in Seventeenth Century, University of York, UK, July 2011.
“Milton’s Lucretian Anxiety Revisited.” 9th International Milton Symposium, London, UK. July 2008.
“‘Denominating Such Discourse as this’: The Natural Theology of Henry More and John Ray.” Pacific Northwest Renaissance Society, Vancouver, BC. April 2008.
“What the Lion Meant: Spenser’s Use of Animals in Book 1 of The Faerie Queene.” Conference on Christianity and Literature, Langley, BC. May 2007.
“Imagine There’s No Heaven: Lucretius in Milton’s Paradise Lost.” Conference on Christianity and Literature, Malibu, CA. March 2006.
“Saints and Thieves: Community and the Self in Dante’s Inferno.” Art and Soul Conference, Waco, TX. April 2005.
“The Two Wordsworths in The Prelude, Book I.” Conference of College Teachers of English Annual Meeting, Waco, TX. March 2005.
2012 Physics Colloquium, Valparaiso University.
2011 Books and Coffee Series, Valparaiso, IN.
2011 Church Vocations Symposium, Valparaiso, IN.
2009-present The Modern Language Association
2009-present The Renaissance Society of America
2007-present The Milton Society of America
2004-2007 Conference on Christianity and Literature
2011 Reviewer, Broadview Press
2005-2010 English Graduate Student Caucus, University of British Columbia:
Graduate Faculty Committee (2006-2007, 2008-2010)
Social Committee (2006-2008)
2005-present Graduate and Faculty Christian Forum, University of British Columbia:
2003-2005 English Graduate Student Association, Baylor University:
Professional Development Coordinator (2004-2005)
Orientation Committee (2004)
Latin and German