Away-Abroad Students (During the Spring)
Most housing for the fall semester (and spring too, for those who want to be off-campus commuters) is reserved during the housing sign-up period in March/April. We make it possible for students away-abroad during the spring semester to participate from afar in all of the housing sign-up processes in March and April. However, it is prudent to plan in advance and act before deadlines. Also, back-up plans should be made in the event one's most preferred housing for the following academic year is not able to be reserved.
We recommend that you authorize one or more students to serve as your proxy during the housing selection event. However, it is crucial that you use one or more of the group request forms (below) to form mutually-agreeing groupings.
- If you are hoping to reside off-campus locally (OCL), you need to submit the new online form Request for Off Campus to request it. If it appears odd when you select this link, scroll all the way down to reach the login. When you submit it, you should get a screen confirmation message and a summary of your request will be emailed to you. You will be notified by email whether your OCL request is waitlisted or granted, in full or partially. Deadline for off-campus request is March 29, 2014.
- No individual housing requests will be considered during housing sign-ups (April 14-17) so you must "fill a room or apartment" in order to reserve it. You should use a Group Request form to mutually form a group with one or two others in oder to fill a room or apartment. Deadlines vary; see below. If you are unable to get approval to live off-campus, it is important to form a roommate grouping in order to reserve a room or apartment during sign-ups. You may form a roommate groupings may be formed using
- If you are NOT part of a successful roommate grouping for housing sign-ups, you will be housed after sign-ups have concluded. Use the Housing Request form (see below) only for an Individual Campus request. We will use your location preferences on that form.
- Do NOT rely on the Housing Request form to request to live off-campus or to form any roommate groupings. The Housing Request form still has the off-campus and roommate grouping features, but do NOT use them. The Individual Campus request feature is useful for communicating your campus location preferences. If you have any questions about this, contact the Housing Office.
Deadlines for online forms
Squatters Rights group request deadline is 9:00 AM (PST) March 18, 2014. Go to Squatters Rights for information and the online group request form. Results will be announced March 19.
Early group request for Ocean View deadline is 9:00 AM (PST) March 18, 2014. Go to Ocean View Apartments for description or to the request form below. Results will be announced March 21.
- Group Request #1 for Ocean View.
- Group Request #2 for Ocean View. Since Ocean View has both 3-person and 4-person apartments, this request allows for a second request for a different grouping.
Group Request with a Specific Location deadline is 9:00 AM (PST) March 29, 2014. Go to Group Request for Specific Location
- Group Request for Specific Location. This request is for a group to mutually-request ONE specific location (usually a particular suite, section or residence hall). NOTE: the earliest sign-up time in a grouping will used to determine how requests are ranked.
As a back-up, submit the Housing Request form by March 29, 2014. NOTE: This form is being phased out, so do not rely on it to request Off-Campus or to form a roommate grouping. If you choose to use the proxy authorization and have another student select housing for you at your sign-up time, you do not need to submit the online Housing Request.
Proxy online form
Proxy authorization must be done prior to the Housing Selection event: early is better than later.
Since the proxy form is web-based, authorizations should be made in advance of the Housing Selection event in April. See Warning* below. Last-minute proxy authorizations can sometimes fail electronically.
Away-abroad students who do not apply for an Ocean View apartment, or participate in a Squatters Rights group, should plan for having someone select their housing during the Housing Selection event. There are two ways to reserve housing during the Housing Selection event in April:
- Ask a current student to select housing in person on your behalf by proxy.* This is an option for those who want to give a proxy the power to choose the specific room location and/or roommate. This can also be used to request off-campus as the housing assignment for the following semester or year.
- Submit the entirely of your housing request by March 29, and use a Group Request form with others. Housing will use this to assign you and your roommate grouping. Only use the Housing Request form to communication your location preferences.
See also Fall Housing Assignments>Away-Abroad Students planning for Fall.
Failure to authorize a proxy in time for your sign-up at the Housing Selection event, or failure of a proxy to attend the Housing Selection event on your behalf, or failure to submit the online Housing Request form may result in no housing being reserved on your behalf during the Housing Selection. After the March 29 deadline for the online Housing Request form, changes to housing requests will not be accepted until after the end of the Housing Selection event concludes in April. If away-abroad students wish to make a late change in their preferences and priorities, it is unlikely that Housing would be able to get this information in time. In this situation, a proxy may be needed to select housing during the Housing Selection event.