Away-Abroad Students (Returning for Spring)
Make spring housing plans in advance
Students who are, or will be, away-abroad during the fall semester (through programs coordinated by the Off Campus Programs Office) should consider their spring housing plans for their anticipated return as early as possible. This is particularly important for those who wish to reside off-campus and commute because we must limit the number of off-campus commuters in order to comply with Santa Barbara County regulations (See Requirements for Commuters). For those returning to campus housing, most available spaces are likely to be scattered among the upper class residence halls.
Students away-abroad may be apprehensive about returning to a relatively full campus at mid-year. This is understandable because most residents remain in their same room for the entire year, and few completely open rooms will become available for incoming roommate groupings. For this reason, we urge current residents and students returning from away-abroad to fill openings by mutual request. When a completely open room is available, it is usually assigned to groups (according to class standing) which can fill the room. In other words, a group with seniors returning from abroad would be assigned to an open room before a group of juniors would be considered.
How to request housing
Students who wish to reside off-campus for the spring semester, after returning from studying away-abroad in the fall, should reserve off-campus during the Housing Sign-Ups for Next Year in March/April.
Away-abroad students who do not have a confirmed off-campus housing assignment for spring (housing code: OCL) should submit their online housing request(s) for on-campus housing by November 1. It is not very worthwhile to request to live off-campus after Housing Sign-Ups in April because the waitlist is usually quite long.
We have four group request forms, and an individual request form as follows:
- Group Request with an Assigned Resident. This group request allows you to "fill an opening" with a current campus resident in his/her room. We call these "slam dunks" if all the parts align for a placement. Use this to fill an opening by mutual request with a current resident. It may be used for different group sizes in that room. In order to succeed, each participant in the group request must agree to the group request by ACCEPTING it before the November 1 deadline AND the opening in the room must be confirmed by Housing by the time we make placements (in mid-November).
- Group Request for Specific Location. This request is for a group to mutually-request ONE specific location (usually a particular suite, section or residence hall). NOTE #1--few completely-open rooms become available at mid-year. NOTE #2--the class standing of the away-abroad student is used to determine how requests are ranked. If away-abroad students have less than senior standing, the chances are slimmer for this possibility.
- Group Request #1 for Ocean View. This request is for entirely NEW groupings at the OV apartments and does not involve a current resident at OV seeking to fill a current or expected opening.
- Group Request #2 for Ocean View. Since Ocean View has both 3-person and 4-person apartments, this request allows for a second request for a different grouping.
- Housing Request. This is our original, multi-purpose form which has been greatly eclipsed by our new group forms described above. Use this to request housing on an individual basis. After creating an "Individual Campus" request here, it will allow different types of requests (e.g. "Group On-Campus" and "Off-Campus Local" --OCL). However, only add an Off-Campus type if your name is already on the OCL waitlist in order to communicate that residing off-campus is more important than any other request you have submitted. If it is not more important than all other requests, you should ask Housing to remove your OCL waitlisting. If you are not already on the OCL waitlist, it is not worthwhile to add here because there are generally so many names on the waitlist. Finally, if you add a Group request here, only use it as a supplement to one of the group requests above. The Housing Request form allows you to rank your preferred locations among all of the upperclass residence halls.
Submissions after November 1 may not be considered until after others are already assigned. If away-abroad students are trying to fill an opening in a room by mutual request with a campus resident (highly recommended), the current campus resident must ACCEPT the grouping with the appropriate online request form. The Housing Request form above does NOT have that feature, but the other Group forms do have it.