Check-in is the required process which residents must follow in order to occupy a room and obtain a room key from residence life staff. Check-in must occur during scheduled hours because RAs (Resident Assistants) must be present during the process. RA training and various preparations are occuring prior to the start of the semester, so the hours are limited for check-in.
Returning students may complete their check-in with their residence hall staff on the weekend immediately preceding the first day of fall semester (August 30-31). Residence hall staff will be available for check-in at the following times:
- Saturday, August 30, from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM or 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
- Sunday, August 31, from 7:00 PM – 11:00 PM
IMPORTANT: Incoming residents must complete check-in during one of the listed times. Moving into the room outside of these times could result in a $50 charge.
New students who arrive for Orientation on Thursday, August 28, will complete check-in with residence hall staff according to the schedule in their orientation materials. Requests by new students to check-in earlier are not accepted.
Some student groups may be allowed to return to campus earlier than scheduled check-in dates, but these must be approved in advance. This information is available at Special Housing>Early Fall Arrival and Fall Housing Assignments>Returning Students.
Returning residents may return to their campus rooms on the weekend immediately preceding the first day of spring semester (January 10-11). The residence halls re-open at noon on Saturday.
Students who have not yet checked into their campus rooms (i.e. new students, those returning from an away-abroad program during the fall semester, or returning as a re-applicant to Westmont), may arrive and check-in with residence hall staff at the following times:
- Saturday, January 10, from 12:00 noon – 2:00 PM or 7:00 – 9:00 PM
- Sunday, January 11, from 7:00 PM – 11:00 PM
IMPORTANT: Incoming residents must complete check-in during one of the listed times. Moving into your room outside of these times could result in a $50 charge.
Some intercollegiate athletic groups may be allowed to return to campus prior to check-in weekend. However, these must be approved in advance with Housing. In order to reside on campus, the student must be already checked-in to his or her Spring housing assignment. New student athletes who have not been in campus housing during the Fall semester are not provided housing until Spring housing check-in (i.e. during the weekend immediately preceding the first day of classes--see above). See Special Housing>Christmas Holiday for more information.
Mayterm, 2014 (for reference until 2015 info is posted)
Housing during the Mayterm period is only available to students who enroll for Mayterm or a travel Mayterm program, or for student athletes who officially participate in extended, intercollegiate athletics and have been approved by their coach and Housing to reside on campus for one or more weeks in May. ALL students who will be residing on campus during the Mayterm period are expected to check-in on the Sunday of graduation weekend. Residents in Mayterm housing who do not check-in on Sunday are responsible for arranging, in advance, a later check-in appointment with the Mayterm RD.
LOCATION: On-campus housing during the Mayterm period will be provided in Page Hall.
SCHEDULED CHECK-IN HOURS: The hours for check-in on Sunday of graduation weekend depend upon when the online application for housing during Mayterm has been submitted.
- EARLY CHECK-IN: Eligible Mayterm-attending students and athletes who submit the online application for on-campus housing during May by the last day of classes for spring semester have early check-in privileges on Sunday morning from 10:00 AM – 12:00 noon.
- STANDARD CHECK-IN: Eligible Mayterm-attending students and athletes who submit the online application for on-campus housing during May after the last day ofclasses for the spring semester may NOT come to EARLY CHECK-IN, but will need to come from 12:00 noon – 2:00 PM.
- LATE CHECK-IN: Those who do not check-in during the morning or early afternoon times may check-in with the Mayterm RD from 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM .
The Mayterm RD for 2014 is Leif Nunneley, but maytermRD@westmont.edu is the designated email address for inquiries. Those who do not check-in for EARLY, STANDARD, OR LATE CHECK-IN on Sunday must contact the Mayterm RD to arrange a later check-in (i.e. when residence hall staff is available). The cell phone for the Mayterm RD on-call is (805) 565-RDOC .
For more information and the online application to request on-campus housing during Mayterm, see Mayterm on Campus or May Housing for Athletes. Every student in on-campus housing during Mayterm must submit the online form, or a paper version of the form at time of check-in.
Summer at Ocean View, 2014 (for reference until 2015 info is posted)
Summer residents at the Ocean View Apartments (OV) are expected to check-in on Sunday, May 4, 2014 (the day immediately following Westmont's graduation) from 2:00 – 3:00 PM or 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
- Summer residents who do not check-in during these scheduled times are responsible for arranging a later check-in appointment with Resident Director at OV. Since the OV-RD has an incredibly busy schedule for Spring check-out and Summer check-in, students should arrange such an appointment well in advance.
- Check-in is scheduled after the residence halls have officially closed in order to allow adequate time for Spring semester residents at OV to check-out and vacate, and for any cleaning that might be possible after their departure. Students who will check-in to OV for the summer must wait until OV staff are available. Students are responsible for their own personal belongings during the transition.
For more information, and the online request for summer housing at OV, see Summer at Ocean View. The application for Ocean View is available as soon as Mayterm housing rates have been established because the Mayterm weekly room rate serves as the basis for determining summer costs at OV.