Fall Change Requests

Types of changes

There are occasions when a student, after being assigned housing for the Fall semester, wants to request a different housing assignment for the Fall semester:

  1. Cancel an on-campus housing assignment and reside off-campus (requires pre-approval by Housing).
  2. Cancel an off-campus reservation and reside in college housing.
  3. Move from one college room assignment and move to a different one.
Requests to move to a different room

If the Fall semester has not yet commenced, students with confirmed college housing assignments who wish to inquire about a change to a different room should contact David King, Housing Director.

Once the Fall semester has commenced, students in college housing should contact their Resident Director (RD) if they wish to inquire about a change to a different room. If the request is to move to a different residence hall, the other RD will be involved as well.

In November, in preparation for Spring semester housing, students in college housing are surveyed by their Resident Assistant (RA) regarding their Spring housing plans. Residents who wish to request a housing change, or will have an opening in their room and wish to request a specific roommate for the Spring semester, should see Fall-To-Spring for more information. However, if such requests do not fill openings by mutual request, they are less likely to be granted. This is because the highest priority for Spring housing is for students returning from Away-Abroad programs during the Fall.

Off-campus commuting

Students who wish to reside off-campus must request this from Housing. During housing sign-ups for next year (during the Spring semester), students must use the online Request for Off-Campus form. At every other time of the year, students must contact the Housing Director by email. Students must obtain written approval from Housing to reside off-campus.

The number of students who may reside off-campus is limited by Westmont. When the limit is reached the Housing Director will start a waitlist. Students must also have attended an Off-Campus Living Workshop (held multiple times each semester) in order to be eligible to live off-campus. Students must also submit the Off-Campus Living Agreement prior to request to live off-campus. See Requirements for Commuters.

A student who wishes to move into college housing and cancel an existing off-campus (OCL) reservation should contact David King, Housing Director (dking@westmont.edu) and request to cancel the OCL reservation and inquire about openings in college housing.