Costs for parking permits
Some colleges and universities may charge little or nothing for parking privileges, so they must spread their costs for parking infrustructure and administration of permits to ALL students. At Westmont, we cannot offer permits to all students. Operating a vehicle on campus is a privilege which is not evenly shared by all students. Therefore, we charge a permit fee to those who reserve them.
We try to keep costs down through efficiency. In 2005, we charged $140 for a semester permit--so the base cost for a permit has risen little in the last decade. Early requesting allows us to to process requests in advance, and prepare for their distribution, before students arrive for the start of school. Late requests, changes to vehicle information, and late pick-ups are more labor intensive. The final cost for a parking permit depends upon when the transaction has been fully completed and the permit has been obtained.
Cost Range for a semester parking permit: $200-$150
Base price is $200, but with discounts the semester cost can be reduced to as low as $150.
Discounts are applied for the following:
- $25 discount for Early Request, submitted from June 1-July 31. This discount will be forfeited for requests after July 31 for the academic year.
- $25 discount for Prompt Pick-up of decal on the first day of the semester. This discount will be forfeited for decal pick-ups after the first day of the semester.
Change/edit fee: $15
Vehicle information can be changed by students until the start of the academic year. After the school year has commenced, all changes/edits must be performed by the Housing Office. Each time a change is performed by Housing (e.g. license plate update, a different vehicle than what was oriiginally indicated), a $15 edit/update fee will be charged to the student account.
Scooter and motorcycle permits
Motorcycle and scooter permits are 1/2 (one-half) the cost of a student's semester permit for a car or truck.
No payment is required at time of request, or at time of pick-up. The cost for a semester permit is posted to the student's account near the end of the month in which the request has been submitted.
The charge for a temporary permit is $3/day, whether the permit is issued by the Housing & Parking Office, or the Campus Health Center. Students who bring a vehicle later in the semester may request a temporary permit in lieu of a full semester permit. This may result in a lower cost to the student. Charges will be added to the student account each month and/or near the end of the semester.
Refunds are given at the discretion of the Housing & Parking Office. There is no cancellation or refund for temporary permits.
A semester permit may only be cancelled by email request. Here is how the refund will be determined:
- A full refund will ONLY be given for a cancellation PRIOR to the start of the semester
- Once a permit has been reserved and is ready for pick-up, a refund will be based upon the day in which the reserved permit has been cancelled by the student.
- A partial refund for a cancelled semester permit will be determined using the equivalent cost for a temporary permit for the number of days in the semester in which the permit was on reserve. EXAMPLE: If a student requests to cancel a reserved semester permit on the 10th day of the semester, a credit will be placed on the student's account for the permit charge, minus $30 (10 days x $3/day = $30). So, if this student had been charged $200 for the permit, a $170 credit would be given.