Limitations for parking permits
Permit privileges are not transferable. Students may not obtain a permit for a vehicle belonging to another student or family member, or primarily operated by another student.
All permits have date limits; they become invalid after their expiration date. Any student serving a suspension for multiple traffic or permit violations is ineligible until the suspension is cleared.
Some parking areas are restricted and not available for students. In addition to campus signage, see the Parking Lot Map for an overview.
The DC parking lot
- Students may not park in the KSC/Dining Commons lot during business days Monday-Friday from 7:30 AM-2:30 PM, unless they are displaying a current, state-issued handicapped placard. Parking in the KSC/DC lot results is the most common parking infraction, according to Public Safety. For other parking rules and restrictions, see Vehicle Regulations.
Regular and Restricted permits
- The number of permits is limited so that we can comply with requirements in our Conditional Use Permit with Santa Barbara. The number of permits is also limited by the number of available parking spaces on campus. Historically, we have been able to offer Regular parking permits to seniors and juniors who request them. However, we significantly limit the number of Restricted permits for sophomores.
- Eligible seniors, juniors and sophomores may Request a Permit at this Student Parking site. However, sophomores' requests will not succeed at the outset and the screen message during the process will indicate that the attempt was unsuccessful. This is because we allocate zero (0) permits for sophomores at the outset, until we can determine how many to offer at a later date. We hope to grant a small number of permits (approx. 20) to sophomores. If the number of Regular permits for seniors and juniors is exhausted, we may eliminate or reduce the number of permits for sophomores.
- For sophomores, the number of requests typically exceeds the number available. For this reason, we will have a two-step approach for requests by sophomores. The first is a qualifiying step in which sophomores will submit an appeal during the online request process. After appeals are reviewed, we will use a random process to offer permits to those who qualify by appeal. We will notify sophomores individually by email if we can offer a permit.
- If any additional permits can be granted later in the school year, we will notify by email.
- Restricted permits for sophomores are restricted in three ways: They are very limited in number, they are only issued for a single semester (not for the full year), and the holder of a Restricted permit will be required to park in Lot #15 during business hours (7:30am - 4:00pm, Monday-Friday). Lot #15 is between the Music Building and Deane Chapel, and is a less-used parking area on lower campus.
- Students should not bring vehicles to the Santa Barbara or the campus unless their request for a permit has been "successfully" confirmed online. This is the word to look for in the "Request a Permit" part of this program. The word "successful" or "unsuccessful" is used in the screen summary at the end of the request process, and a student's permit status is also displayed on the Student Profile (however, the Student Profile does not display status immediately--it usually takes a day).