Request a Permit
Change regarding Spring permits!
Students should request a Fall AND Spring permit, or a Spring ONLY permit ,or a Fall ONLY permit, at the time of their online request in July.
Request during the month of July!
This is how the request process works:
- NOTE: there is no need to submit a request as soon as possible on July 1 (i.e. the day we activate the request program) because we will not use first-come, first-served to grant permits in July. However, all students are urged to request by the end of July to ensure their ability to get a permit. Beginning in August, and as we seek to supply permits to meet demand, availability of permits will diminish.
- Select PROCEED (see button below) to enter your vehicle information (and submit an appeal, if you are a sophomore). If the program recognizes you as a sophomore, you will see an appeal box below the vehicle information box for you to state your reason(s) for a permit. All sophomores should submit an appeal in order to be considered.
- Select SUBMIT after completing the vehicle info (and appeal). A screen message should immediately appear to declare whether or not your request was successful or unsuccessful. NOTE: All requests by sophomores will FAIL, since we will allocate zero (0) permits at the outset for sophomores.
- The evolving status of your permit request will be displayed on your Profile page, eventually.The status of your requestt will NOT display immediately or the same day.
- If you attempt to request a permit before the program is activated on July 1, your request will not be recorded. Try again during the month of July, or later, when the program is operative.
Be sure to request a permit in advance before coming with your vehicle to get the decal. The Housing Office needs time to process each request. The following vehicle information must be provided in order to request a permit: registered owner, make-model-color-year-state. If any of this information is not provided at the time of request, alternate information may be supplied and edited later (see below). But later changes/edits will result in the forfeiture of the "no change or edit" discount (see Costs for info on discounts).
Requesting a permit online is merely the first step. You do not "have" a valid permit until one is affixed to your vehicle. See How to pick-up your permit for WHEN and WHERE to get your decal.
Confirm the status of your request
Your student profile will display the evolving status for your permit request, within a day or so:
- No request being processed = no request on file.
- Request unsuccessful = soph permits are not offered yet. No permit is offered.
- Request successful = you successfully requested a permit; we're getting it ready for you.
- Ready for pick-up = a reserved decal is ready for you to obtain, but it's invalid until it's on your vehicle.
- Permit issued = the permit affixed to your vehicle is ONLY valid for that vehicle.
If you don't know the specific vehicle or license plate:
Since we require a specific vehicle for permit requests, indicate a vehicle you are most likely to bring when you complete the vehicle information. You may change your vehicle (and this information later) by contacting the Housing Office, or later when you arrive to get your decal. However, you will forfeit the "no change or edit" discount. If the vehicle is new and does not have a license plate, you won't be eligible for the small "no change or edit" discount (see Costs).
Lower Cost for Early Request & Prompt Pickup
If you successfully request a permit during the early request period, your permit will cost less than if you request after that period (see Costs).
- Early request (discount) period for all semester permits for the Fall and Spring: July 1-31
Restricted permits are for eiligible sophomores (26-58 units), but theywill not be offered in July. Sophomores' appeals will be reviewed after the month of July, and a random process may be used to grant some requests to those with qualifying appeals.
Juniors & Seniors
Regular permits are for eligible juniors and seniors. Juniors and seniors may not obtain parking permits on behalf of sophomores or first-years. Contact Housing about any Eligibility difficulties.
To request a temporary permit, sophomores, juniors or seniors need to come to the Housing & Parking Office in person with the following information. It is not necessary to bring the vehicle when obtaining a temporary permit, as long as the vehicle registration is presented.
- Registered owner
- Vehicle make (e.g. Honda)
- Vehicle model and color (e.g. blue Civic)
- Vehicle license plate, and state of issuance (e.g. ABC123, CA)
To request a longer-term temporary permit for medical reasons, students need to go to the Campus Health Center or the Office of Disability Services.