Sophomores: Request a Permit
Early request from May 1-June 30 (for Fall to Spring, 2017)
May 1-June 30 is the early discount period.
Important Eligibility Message:
- You must have 26-58 units on record to request a permit; don't request until you do.
- When you login, your units on record AT THE TIME OF YOUR REQUEST will determine your online eligibility.
- You may need to wait until June or July for units to be recorded. If so, thist will NOT affect your chances to be considered.
- Sophomores' appeals will be reviewed after the month of July, and a random process may be used to grant some requests for those with qualifying appeals.
Request deadline: July 31
Late requests (after July 31) are less likely to be approved.
Read all of this before you PROCEED to request
- After you select the PROCEED button (below), you should see a vehicle information scrren that includes an appeal box (if the program recognizes you as a sophomore).
- Sophomores must submit an appeal to state their reason(s) for wanting a permit.
- If you attempt to request before the program is activated on May 1, your request will not be recorded. Try again,, when the program is operative.
- You may request a permit for one OR both semesters. Your request and appeal will remain on file throughout the entire schoold year. However, Spring permits for sophomores are not considered until December.
- Select SUBMIT after completing your vehicle info, and appeal.
- A screen message will immediately indicate your request was UNSUCCESSFUL. This is because all requests by sophomores are determined by appeal.
- If your appeal is granted, you will be notified by the Housing Director at your Westmont email address.
- If your appeal is NOT granted, you will NOT be notified by email. You may see the evolving status of your permit request on your Profile, but it will NOT display immediately or the same day. Allow a day or so after your request.
Requesting a permit online is merely the first step. You do not "have" a valid permit until one is granted in writing AND a decal is affixed to your vehicle. See How to pick-up your permit for WHEN and WHERE to get your decal.
Confirm the status of your request
Your student profile will display the evolving status for your permit request, within a day or so:
- No request being processed = no request on file
- Request unsuccessful = No permit is offered to you, but your appeal remains on file
- Request successful = your appeal is granted, we're getting a permit ready for you
- Ready for pick-up = a reserved decal is ready for you to obtain, and you will be charged for it. However, it's invalid until it's on your vehicle
- Permit issued = the permit affixed to your vehicle is ONLY valid for that vehicle
If you don't know the specific vehicle or license plate
Since we require a specific vehicle for permit requests, indicate a vehicle you are most likely to bring when you complete the vehicle information. You may change your vehicle (and this information later) by contacting the Housing Office, or later when you arrive to get your decal. However, you will forfeit the "no change or edit" discount. If the vehicle is new and does not have a license plate, you won't be eligible for the small "no change or edit" discount (see Costs).
To request a temporary permit, sophomores, juniors or seniors need to come to the Housing & Parking Office in person with the following information. It is not necessary to bring the vehicle when obtaining a temporary permit, as long as you bring a photo of your license plate or bring your vehicle DMV registration to the Housing Office. We need:
- Vehicle make (e.g. Honda)
- Vehicle model and color (e.g. blue Civic)
- Vehicle license plate, and state of issuance (e.g. ABC123, CA)
To request a longer-term temporary permit for medical reasons, students need to go to the Campus Health Center or the Office of Disability Services.