Untitled Document

Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to Westmont College! This page will give you all of the information you may need as you and your family transition to Westmont.

Academic Advising Computer & Internet Spiritual Life
Arriving to Campus Food Spring Orientation
Bookstore Housing Student Life
Cars Mail
Class Registration Packing Lists  

orientation photo

Spring Orientation

When is Orientation?

Spring Orientation begins Saturday, January 6th at 3pm in Hieronymus Lounge located in the Kerrwood Hall. Students can move into the residence halls between noon - 2pm on Saturday, January 6th. There will be Spring Orientation events through Sunday, January 7th. Classes begin on Monday, January 8th.

Are there events scheduled for my family?

There is a campus tour at 2pm on Saturday, January 6th. The Welcome Session on Saturday, January 6th at 3pm in Hieronymus Lounge is geared for new students and their families. Parents can find more information on the Parent Relations webpage.


Academic Advising

Why do I need an academic advisor?

Academic advisors can be helpful to you in many ways. They can help you explore your options regarding a major and career choices as they listen and learn about you and your strengths and weaknesses. They are great resources when it comes to knowing college academic policies, general graduation requirements, and scheduling classes. You will be assigned an academic advisor when you arrive for Orientation and you will be scheduled to meet with your advisor during the first week of classes.

Who are the academic advisors?

All full-time faculty members and some student life professionals act as academic advisors.


Class Registration

When do I register?

Spring transfer students register for classes on a rolling basis after you confirm your admission, beginning December 11th. You will be contacted by the Registrar's Office with instructions on registering for classes. If you have any questions, check out the Registrar's webpage.

orientation photo



Moving on campus

Can I move onto campus before January 6th?

Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate requests to move into the residence halls prior to January 6th. Click here for a local hotel guide.

What is the move-in time?

Students can move into their residence hall between noon-2pm on Saturday, January 6th.

Where do I go first when I arrive for Spring Orientation?

When you arrive at Westmont, go to the upper entrance of campus and follow the signs to the residence hall in which you'll be living; you will unload your belongings, check into your room, and meet at 3pm in Hieronymus Lounge in Kerrwood Hall for a Welcome Session and to have your ID Card photo taken.

orientation photo





When do I find out who my roommate(s) is(are)?

Once your Westmont e-mail account is activated you can check the student profile page. Afterwards, go to "Personal Information," and then select "Private" for roommate information. Your roommates' home phone numbers will be listed, so take the time to call and get to know each other. On occasion, new students are assigned to a different room after the original housing assignment has been made and posted on the profile. When that occurs, the Housing Office will try to communicate the housing changes by email or phone call.

You may also call the Housing Office for more information at (805) 565-6037.

What size mattresses are in the residence hall rooms?

All on-campus mattresses are extra-long twins (80" x 36")

May I keep a microwave or a micro-fridge in my room?

No, microwaves are not permitted in students' rooms. You may keep a small refrigerator (under 5 cubic feet) in your room. There is an additional charge to defray energy expenses.

May I use nails, double-stick tape, or duct tape to hang posters and artwork on my walls?

No, please only bring small tacks and white (not blue) poster putty to hang artwork in your room.



Do I have to be on the campus meal plan?

Yes, all on-campus students must be on a meal plan. New students must be on the unlimited meal plan for the first semester and then may switch to the 15-meal plan for the second semester if they wish.



Where do I send things before school starts?

You will be assigned your MS# (mail stop number) shortly after you confirm your admission to Westmont. You may find out your MS# by consulting the student profile page. All of your mail must have this number on it, or it will be delayed. Please make sure you give this MS# to banks, doctors, parents, friends, magazines, etc., as soon as possible. If you need to mail something before Orientation, please send it addressed as follows:

Student Name


955 La Paz Road

Santa Barbara, CA 93108


If you need to send boxes, please wait to send them until two weeks prior to coming to campus, as we have limited storage space. The on-campus post office will be open on Monday, January 8th for you to pick up your boxes. Please refer to the Post Office webpage for more information.



Where do I park when I arrive?

Follow the signs to the residence hall in which you'll be living. There will be parking available at each hall.

Are first-year students allowed to have vehicles on campus?

Unfortunately because of the limitations to the Westmont campus, first-year students are not able to have vehicles on campus (including motorcycles or scooters).

How can I get around Santa Barbara without a vehicle?

Westmont offers a shuttle that stops throughout Santa Barbara on a regular schedule. Also, Westmont has a dial-a-ride service extending from Santa Barbara airport to Carpinteria.


Student Life

What is an RA?

RA stands for Resident Assistant. RAs are current students that live in the same section and residence hall as you, and they are there to help you throughout the residential learning experience. Your RA will plan events, facilitate community, and help you with any questions you have.

What is an RD?

RD stands for Resident Director. RDs are professional staff members in the Division of Student Life, and they live in the residence halls and are responsible for student development in the residential setting. They also provide leadership for residence hall programming as well as acting as a resource for personal issues students may encounter during the year.


Computer and Internet

How do I get a Westmont email account?

For admitted students, email accounts should already be created and password set. If you have not done so already, you can go here to find out your email address and create a password.

What network access is available from the residence halls?

Westmont provides a high-speed network connection that allows users in-room network and internet access 24-hours a day. Wireless internet can be accessed anywhere on the Westmont campus.

PC or Mac?

Westmont is compatible with both PC and Mac computers. This decision is a personal preference. BUT the library has several public computers (both mac and PC), so you may not need a personal computer at all.


Spiritual Life

How often is Chapel?

Chapel is held every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10:30 am to 11:20 am in Murchison Gym.

What happens if I can't make it to all chapels?

Each student is allowed 12 absences from Chapel per semester. To read more information on Chapel, go to the Campus Pastor's webpage.

How can I get to church?

Some churches have shuttles that pick up students. On the back of the Chapel cards given at each Chapel, you can request a ride, and the Campus Pastor's office will assist you.



How can I order my books?

Students are encouraged to place orders online. Students ordering textbooks online get first choice of books and avoid long lines. Textbooks ordered online will be available for pick up when you come to campus. Textbooks will also be sold during Orientation at the College Bookstore on Sunday, January 7th between 4:15-6:30pm.

Where do I pick up my books?

Once you are on campus your reserved textbooks will be available at the bookstore during the posted textbook sales hours.


Packing lists

What to bring to Westmont

  • Recommended:
    • Computer
    • Multiple Outlet Surge Protector
    • Towels and Washcloths
    • Blankets, Pillows, and Fitted Sheets for extra-long twin mattresses (80"x36")
    • Alarm Clock
    • Study/Reading Light
    • Flashlight (for power outages)
    • Iron/Ironing Board
    • Mug, Tumbler, and Water Bottle
    • Laundry Bag/Basket with Laundry Supplies
    • Toiletries and a small basket for carrying personal bathroom supplies.
    • Headphones
    • Electric Fan
    • Painting Tape or Command Strips to use for Decorating Walls
  • Optional: Bicycle with Kryptonite or similar lock, sports equipment (frisbee, tennis racket, racquetball rackets, spike ball set, etc.), radio/stereo system, small refrigerator (up to five cubic feet, and there is a $30 fee for use), florescent torchiere floor lamp, coffee pot or electric kettle, TV/DVD/game system, sleeping bags or hiking gear, beach chair, acoustic guitar/hand drums/keyboard

What NOT to bring

  • Hot plate, microwave (provided in Residence Hall kitchens), toaster/toaster oven, halogen torchiere floor lamp, regular extension cords, candles/oil lamps, incense, drum set, chairs, deskes, or beds (rooms are furnished, and there is often no speace to store excess furnishings), air conditioner, duct tape to use for decorations (will cause damage to walls)