First-Year Experience Pre-Orientation Adventure Trips
Before starting at Westmont, consider joining a Pre-Orientation Adventure Trip.
Trips consist of two different optional trips from which new students can select. The options are the Backpacking Adventure and the Urban Adventure. The trips are designed to bring incoming students together, create friendships, and give participants a taste of the spectacular opportunities Westmont has to offer.
Adventure trips leadership continues to closely monitor news and recommendations related to Covid-19. We are optimistic that conditions will improve by mid-summer; nevertheless, we are currently planning to keep robust safety measures in place in accordance with county and college guidelines. These include limited enrollment, mandatory pre-trip testing, face coverings, and physical distancing. We encourage students to apply early given limitations on enrollment.
Choose Your Own Adventure
- When: August 17-24, 2021
- Where: Mineral King Loop, Sequoia National Park
- Who: 1 Faculty Member & 1 Adventure Guide
- Curriculum: First Year Seminar credit
- Itinerary: Meet at Westmont and travel to Sequoia National Park to hike the Mineral King Loop. The Mineral King Loop is a ~45 mile loop in the Mineral King area of Sequoia National Park that traverses 10 miles of the famous High Sierra Trail and climbs over Sawtooth Pass, Kaweah Gap and Timber Gap. +/- 12,000 feet of elevation with a starting elevation of 7,800 feet and a peak elevation of 11,800 feet. Highlights include alpine lakes, expansive granite canyon views, and scenic lake-side campsites.
- Cost: $900
- When: August 17-24, 2021
- Where: Westmont in San Francisco
- Who: 1 Faculty Member
- Curriculum: First Year Seminar credit
- Itinerary: This urban adventure involves a 6 day immersive experience in the culturally diverse, dynamic city of San Francisco. The trip will feature daily field trips, cultural/arts events, service projects and group discussions all lead by the resident faculty of the Westmont in San Francisco program. Participants will have opportunity to develop strong connections with their peers and share in a living-learning community experience aimed at seeing God, self and neighbor in new, expansive ways as well as taking in the beauty and unique vibe of a world-class American city.
- Cost: $950
Adventure Trips Information & FAQ
These trips combine outdoor activities with a classroom learning experience and are a great way to begin your Westmont experience. Most importantly, you will meet new friends that may last throughout your Westmont career and into the future. Our main goals for each participant are to:
Ease the transition into college
Forge lasting relationships with others who share similar interests
Become a part of the Westmont community
Enjoy an incredible adventure
Get an initial taste of the Christian Liberal Arts by diving into a topic with a Westmont faculty or staff
For more information, contact, Kasey Miller, Campus Life Assistant at email@example.com or (805)-565-6125
Here are the dates for 2021 and costs:
- August 17th - 24th, $900 (7 days & 1 unit of credit)
- August 17th - 24th, $950 (7 days & 1 unit of credit)
What is included?
For all programs where applicable:
- Camping and equipment for outdoor adventures; housing at the Clunie House for Urban adventure
- Three meals per day and all necessary group cooking equipment
- Professionally trained trip leaders
- Transportation to and from Westmont for all activities
- Group guidance and team building activities
- All permits, reservations, and entrance fees
- Leaders with Wilderness first aid and CPR training
For Backpacking and Urban Adventure:
• 45 or more days before the trip date- Full refund minus $20 processing fee.
• Between 45 and 15 days before the trip date- 50% refund minus $20 processing fee.
• Less than 15 days before the trip date- no refunds available.
For the Backpacking Adventure, you should plan to arrive at Westmont Tuesday, August 17th at 9am.
* Unfortunately, no transportation will be provided from the Santa Barbara Airport to Westmont. We recommend students take an Uber or Lyft.
For the Urban Adventure, you should plan to arrive at the Westmont in San Francisco space (location TBD) on Tuesday August 17th between 1pm and 4pm. Unfortunately, no transportation will be provided from the San Francisco Airport. We recommend students take an Uber or Lyft.
For the Backpacking Adventure, you will be able to store all your move-in boxes and gear until your return. Unfortunately, we cannot provide accommodations for storage or housing prior to your trip departure date. Upon your return on Tuesday, August 24th, you will be able to officially move into your room. You will have Wednesday to get settled and rest and then Westmont Orientation will begin on Thursday August 26th.
For the Urban Adventure, you will be able to store all your move-in boxes at the Westmont in San Francisco location. If you need accommodations between the Urban Adventure Trip and Orientation, you will be able to stay on Monday night for an extra $40, which includes food. Westmont can provide transportation from San Francisco to Westmont College on Tuesday, August 24th and you will be able to move in to your residence hall room upon arriving to Westmont. You will have Wednesday to get settled and rest and then Orientation will begin on Thursday.
On the trip, your leaders will teach you the basic skills you will need to be comfortable while camping, hiking, kayaking and/or rock climbing. For those who are unsure about conditioning for the trail, hesitant about heights, or concerned with an open water kayak experience, a Pre-Orientation Adventure Trip is a wonderful opportunity to challenge yourself while under professional guidance. See the next FAQ for more info. on how to prepare physically for the Backpacking and Santa Barbara adventure trips.
The Backpacking Adventure Trip is designed for beginner to intermediate skill levels. However, because the Backpacking Adventure is in high altitudes, we encourage everyone to engage in some type of regular physical activity in preparation for the trip in order to maximize comfort. Each activity is “challenge by choice.” Therefore each participant has the opportunity to choose the level at which they participate during their trip.
Contact will not always be easy or even possible during the Backpacking and Santa Barbara Adventures due to the very busy schedule and outdoor nature of our program. An Adventure Programs leader will ensure that an emergency cell phone will always be present. In cases of family emergency we can be contacted at Westmont Orientation (805) 565-6125 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
A small amount of spending money will easily get you through the week. There will likely be opportunities to purchase food, drinks or other special treats during longer periods of travel time.
For the Urban Adventure, we recommend bringing $50-$200 of spending money.
Westmont regulations and program policies - which can be found in the Westmont Student Handbook and in the Community Life Statement - do not allow alcohol or drugs on this trip. Anyone violating this NO TOLERANCE policy will be immediately asked to leave the trip and responsible for their own transportation home. Thank you for your cooperation. Any prescription medications must be noted on the health form at the time of registration.
Please note any food/health requirements when filling out the confidential health form. Our staff will take into consideration all food/health requirements for each participant during meal and trip preparation. If you have severe or life threatening medical conditions or food allergies please contact our staff in advance to so that we can discuss your situation.
Register for Adventure Trips!
We are so glad that you would like to join us on an Pre-Orientation Adventure Trip! Space is limited on these Adventures. You are encouraged to register early. To officially choose your own Adventure, follow these easy steps:
- Complete the registration form with a required deposit of $300. Click here to access the form.
- The balance of the trip cost ($600 for Backpacking or $650 for Urban) is due 30 days before the trip. You will receive a link to pay the balance online or you can mail a check to: Campus Life Office, 955 La Paz Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93108.
- Please print and fill out the forms below and either scan and e-mail them to email@example.com or mail them to: Campus Life Office, 955 La Paz Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93108.
All Adventure Trips
Backpacking and Santa Barbara Adventure