Things to know if you're a senior. Know Before You Go
👉👉Check out your Guidebook for Graduating Seniors here!
Navigate a difficult job market and utilize these ”life hacks” for life after graduating Westmont!
Life feels uncertain right now. So, lean in to it.
Throughout each day, remind yourself that the Lord understands what's got you troubled. He is mighty to save, and He has gone before you...and that includes your future work.
Seniors, use your heart to feel, your mind to think, and your body to act. Do the word to prepare yourself, act diligently, and keep moving forward. You will get through this difficult time.
"Do the work." No doubt you've heard this term on campus, and the time to start doing the work is NOW. Don't wait until graduation to get ready to pursue grad school and job opportunities.
These 20 employers were slated to come to the April 2020 Career Cafe - - and they may still want to talk to you about jobs and internships. Keep in mind that companies may have a variety of roles available. Review the entire list and contact them directly (via email, the organization's website, or job postings on Handshake).
- 360 Behavioral Health (Cal Psychcare) is the new name for a family of providers that deliver exceptional care – across the entire lifespan – to individuals impacted by autism and other conditions that interfere with daily living. Growing beyond kids and autism – they also offer comprehensive, coordinated, compassionate care for a range of behavioral health conditions that touch infants, kids, adolescents, young adults, adults, and seniors. They also address the needs of parents and siblings whose lives are impacted by the conditions their loved one faces. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in becoming part of their team. To view current jobs posted click Here
- Apeel Sciences creates products from natural plant extracts that allow growers to reduce reliance on pesticides, increase produce quality, and provide superior shelf life even when optimal temperature control is not possible. Using agricultural byproducts–parts of the plant that are normally discarded–Apeel creates products that fortify the surfaces of fresh fruits and vegetables, forming an ultra-thin barrier that camouflages crops and shields produce from both biotic and abiotic stressors. Made from 100% plant material, Apeel's protective formulas are invisible, tasteless, edible and durable. Apeel was recently ranked #16 in “Best places to work” in the tri-counties according to Pacific Business Times and they are experiencing a tremendous amount of growth right now. Reach out to email@example.com if you are interested in becoming part of their team. To search their current open positions click Here
- AppFolio (NASDAQ: APPF) was launched over ten years ago to revolutionize the way small and medium-sized businesses grow and compete. Today their software solutions serve the property management and legal industries. At the heart of their products and services is a talented and agile team that understands the importance of a 100% customer focus. With offices in Santa Barbara, Dallas, and San Diego, their business is built for long term success fueled by happy, loyal customers and a team of AppFolians who contribute to their great culture every day. Appfolio was recently ranked #23 in “Best places to work” in the Tri-counties according to Pacific Business Times and they have experienced a tremendous amount of growth in the last few years. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in becoming part of their team. To view current positions click Here
- The Belmond El Encanto sits perched high in the Santa Barbara hills, this iconic hideaway offers the best views of the American Riviera. Spread across seven acres of secluded gardens, Belmond El Encanto opened in 1918 and has been part of Santa Barbara’s social scene ever since. The resort is gleaming and glamorous, yet relaxed and low key. Reach out to email@example.com if you would like to be a part of their team. To view current positions click Here
- The Montecito YMCA is a charitable organization providing programs based upon Christian principles to men, women and children of all ages, races, religious beliefs and economic status to develop and enrich the spirit, mind, and body. As the nation’s leading nonprofit, the Y makes accessible the support and opportunities that empower people and communities to learn, grow and thrive. With a focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y nurtures the potential of every youth and teen, improves the nation’s health and well-being, and provides opportunities to give back and support neighbors. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in becoming part of their team. To see current jobs posted click Here
- Hinchee Homes operates Long-Term Residential Homes for Individuals with Developmental Disabilities in Santa Barbara and Goleta. Hinchee Homes believes individuals with developmental disabilities are valued members of society. As valued members of society, they have the right to quality life. They believe that quality of life is enhanced by the degree to which an individual exercises his independence, self sufficiency, and freedom of choice. Reach out to email@example.com if you want to learn more about partnering with them.
- Honey Science was founded in 2012 and headquartered in Downtown Los Angeles, with locations in Santa Barbara, CA, Boulder, CO, London, UK and Sydney, AU, Honey is the easiest way to save when shopping online! They currently have a coupon applying browser extension (available on Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, etc.), a cash back program called Honey Gold, a price-watching tool called Droplist, and are working on several more features and products to create abundance for all! They are a consumer-facing tech company. They are using the latest technology to create user-friendly shopping tools that save people time and money. They like smart and scrappy creators and inventors who want to use technology to solve problems and like to have impact and influence on the end product. Life at Honey: They want to create an environment where great people can do great work. A place where people can be themselves, are allowed to take risks and fail, and are pushed to continuously learn and develop new skills. Diversity at Honey: Their mission, to make the world more fair, starts with building a company where diversity is a priority. They are committed to creating a culture of inclusivity, where there are opportunities for all, everyone feels like they belong, and different perspectives are valued. At Honey, you will do your best work, achieve things you didn’t think you are capable of, grow to be the most amazing version of yourself, and enjoy the process. If this is a company that you would like to work with reach out to Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org. To see current job postings with Honey click Here
- Impact is the global leader in Partnership Automation. They work with enterprise and innovative brands like Ticketmaster, Levi’s, Microsoft, Airbnb, and Uber to help them manage all different types of partnerships. From social influencers, B2B, strategic partners, publishers, and traditional affiliates...they have them covered. Their combined suite of products covers the full life partnership lifecycle including; onboarding, tracking ads and paying partners, recruiting for new partners, data and marketing intelligence, and protection from fraud. Founded in 2008 by the same team that founded Commission Junction, Impact has grown to over 450 employees and eleven offices across the United States, Europe, Africa and Asia. If Impact sounds like a company that you would want to join, reach out to email@example.com. To see current jobs posted at Impact, click Here
- Joni and Friends is built on Biblical truth and the foundation of Jesus Christ. They are about advancing disability ministry and changing the church and communities around the world. The Joni and Friends International Disability Center (IDC) serves as the administrative center for ministries which provide outreach to thousands of families affected by disability around the globe. Joni and Friends is answering the call in the Gospel of Luke 14, "invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind and you will be blessed...make them come in so my house will be full." They present the clear and concise Gospel of Jesus Christ to all people affected by disability and their families who are served through their programs around the world. They train, disciple, and mentor people affected by disability to exercise their gifts of leadership and service in their churches and communities. They energize the church to move from lack of awareness to including disabled persons into the fabric of worship, fellowship, and outreach. If you are interested in working with Joni & Friends feel free to reach out to Jase at firstname.lastname@example.org To see current positions posted at Joni & Friends click Here
- Mission Springs Conference Center hires 35 plus summer staff for various positions ranging from office staff, guest services hosts, kitchen, lifeguard, housekeeping, gift shop & snack bar, and maintenance. Frontier Ranch is a youth camp which runs three weeks of camp for 4-6th graders and five weeks of camp for 7-9th graders. They hire about 100 staff; counselors, support staff, ranchers, maintenance and more! Frontier Ranch Santa Barbara is their high school camp located in Santa Barbara. They run one week of camp at this location pulling staff from Frontier Ranch! If you are interested in working at the Missions Springs Conference Center reach out to email@example.com. If you are interested in exploring their current jobs posted, click Here
- Nomad is much more than a brand name. It’s their philosophy as a company and a team: owning fewer things, being resourceful and working hard together. And it is the very core of their product vision: creating minimalist, practical tools that keep the world powered on the go. They develop all of their product concepts from the ground up. Materials selection is core to fulfilling their product promise of true portability, so they select the lightest, thinnest, strongest materials to suit their designs. If this company interests you and you would want to join their team, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in viewing current jobs posted at Nomad click Here
- Pay Junction was founded in 2000 by three UCSB graduates without a single dollar of outside investment, PayJunction has gone from bootstrapped to billions in processing. Initially profiting only pennies on every dollar, PayJunction, with a team of over 3,000 nationwide, now transacts over $3 billion dollars annually for tens of thousands of clients. As the leading developer of paperless payment software, PayJunction has eliminated the need to file away paper receipts, ultimately increasing productivity and reducing cost for small and medium sized businesses, but more importantly, reducing the carbon footprint of an entire industry. PayJunction takes pride in its design and engineering. They think computer science is an art; it just happens to be the brush they use to paint their product with innovation and effectiveness. Their brand was built with a long-term vision, their goal is to be a generational tech company, and integrity is the foundation of their success. PayJunction values long-term relationships over short-term profit. The owners still head day-to-day operations for the company, and are as dedicated to fostering the culture as they are to developing the product. PayJunction is a place where you can find experienced mentors that are committed to your growth. If you would want to join the team at PayJunction reach out to email@example.com. To see current openings at PayJunction click Here
- Rincon Catering was established in 1984. Rincon Catering Inc. is family owned and operated business specializing in catering services and event planning. Based in Carpinteria, Rincon serves the greater Santa Barbara and Ventura county area. They are always looking for help to assist with their events. If you would like to join their team reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sansum Clinic's mission is to provide an excellent healthcare experience, recognizing their first priority is the patients they serve. Their vision: As a premier integrated delivery system, they provide high-value healthcare to the communities they serve, managing the population's healthcare needs, while also creating a model of care that will thrive in California's rapidly changing healthcare arena. The values that guide them are: Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence, and Stewardship. Simply put, Sansum Clinic CARES. If you are interested in working with Sansum feel free to reach out to email@example.com. To see current jobs at Sansum click Here
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History has worked to connect people to nature for the betterment of both for more than a century. Through collections-based research, life-long learning programs, indoor and outdoor exhibits, and unique experiences for schoolchildren, they are “naturally different.” They also operate the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History Sea Center. Located on historic Stearns Wharf. The sea center is a highly interactive marine education facility that offers close encounters with marine animals from the Santa Barbara Channel. In addition to permanent exhibits, the Sea Center hosts unique events and special educational programming, including their Live Dive series. If you are interested in working with the Natural History Museum or their Sea Center reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in current jobs, click Here
- The Santa Barbara Zoo is home to 146 species of mammals, reptiles, birds and insects. More than 500 animals are exhibited in open, naturalistic habitats. They are dedicated to the preservation, conservation, and enhancement of the natural world and its living treasures through education, research, and recreation. Their values of Integrity, Quality, Respect, Collaboration, and Having Fun are at the heart of what they do daily as a team. They believe in doing a great job for their guests, employees, volunteers, and their community. Their values are put into practice daily and allow them to provide a unique work environment and guest experience. Reach out to Westmont Alum, Shomari McLemore if you are interested in joining their team email@example.com. If you are interested in current openings, click Here
- The Teddy Bear Cancer Foundation provides financial and emotional support to families living in the tri-counties that have a child with cancer. If you would want to join their team, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in current job openings, click Here
- The Marine Corps offers programs for graduates and students at point in their college career, including guaranteed aviation and judge advocate general options. If you’d like to learn more about their program you can reach out to email@example.com.
- United Way of Santa Barbara County (UWSBC) has the unique and positive vision that “in our community, everyone has a hopeful future.” Since 1923, UWSBC has served Santa Barbara County community through funding, volunteer development, and by utilizing its own unique initiatives that involve dozens of local non-profit and public sector agencies. UWSBC’s local community driven Power of Partnership™ priorities help children, families & seniors with a focus on Education, Income and Health. If you would like to learn more about joining their team, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yardi is the 2nd largest IT service provider in the Tri-counties. They are dedicated to the design, development, and support of real estate investment management and property management software. They offer full business solutions for every real estate market, including multifamily, single family, affordable, public, senior and military housing as well as office, industrial, and retail market segments. Yardi continues to develop and deliver software and services with the highest commitment to quality, innovation, responsiveness, and customer focus. Yardi has over 35 offices and 6,500+ employees worldwide. If you are interested in joining the team at Yardi feel free to reach out to email@example.com. To see current openings at Yardi click Here
The "lowest hanging fruit" is still the online job boards (Handshake, LinkedIn, Indeed, Glassdoor, etc). Beyond the obvious, think creatively about the industries/sectors that may be hiring. Here are a few examples:
- Handshake article: 500 Companies Hiring Students on Handshake Right Now
- LinkedIn (Here's Who Is Hiring Right Now)
- Update on Who's Hiring (Wall Street Journal article)
- 60 Companies Hiring to Address COVID-19
- Live Updates* of the Companies Hiring and Freezing Hiring now
- Glassdoor.com article: 33 Companies Eager to Hire Amid COVID-19
- MarketWatch.com article: Amazon, Walmart, Lowe’s and others are hiring to fill 444,000 job openings amid coronavirus demand
- FastCompany.com article: Who is hiring during the coronavirus? Try these industries if you need a job now.
- Essential and Critical Workers List: Every state has published a list of work categories that have been deemed essential/critical, and you can study these lists for an idea of sectors of the economy that are remain robust. As an example, see the state of California's list of essential and critical workers.
- Temp job placement agencies such as Robert Half
- The City of Los Angeles has launched a website to help people find in-demand jobs at essential businesses.
- Bloomberg.com article: CVS says it is hiring 50,000 employees to meet demand at its stores.
- Amazon intends to hire 100,000 workers.
Get creative, be diligent, and think resourcefully.
Although we're in the middle of challenging times, the U.S. economy has always recovered. While no one knows "when" things will turn around, here are a few articles of companies and industries likely to bounce back:
- ING article: Some sectors will recover quicker than others
- MarketWatch article on tech companies likely to recover quickly
We'll continue to update this information.
Even in the best of times, knowing how to articulate your value to an employer is crucial. It's even more important now.
Take the time to understand your strengths and then translate them into your resume and online profiles (LinkedIn, Handshake, and other job boards). Then practice your interview skills over and over until you can quickly and meaningfully "tell your story" to employers.
Not sure what your strengths are? Consider taking a personality assessment such as StrengthsFinder, Type Focus (Myers Briggs), or the Strong Interest Inventory. Then schedule a time to meet with a career professional to unpack the assessments to help you better articulate your strengths. Check out the "recommended steps" link on our career counseling page. Check out the guidebook at the top of this page!
Similarly, don't discount ANY previous employment experience because you think it's not significant. We can help you articulate virtually any experience (job, volunteer, etc.) and highlight those skills in your resume and online profiles. Schedule a time to meet with a career professional via Handshake.
There are several ways to get around the issue of lacking experience, mainly realizing that you actually DO have experience. Utilizing different types of experience is key, which is what we like to call transferrable skills. Remember volunteer experience, skills, interests, ministry and mission work, awards/accomplishments, leadership, clubs, community service, and so much more that have equipped you with many things to put on a resume.
- Watch our resume video or use them resume packet & examples to revise yours
- What to Put on Your Resume When You Have No Relevant Work Experience
- 6 Tips For A No-Experience Resume
- Make a Great Resume with No Work Experience
What about a CV (Curriculum Vitae)?
On LinkedIn, connect with a professor, family friend, previous supervisor, fellow alumnus, or referral to someone...all of these can be important connections that help when you are looking for a job or internship. Get your 'foot in the door,' gain advice, obtain new connections and leads, and increase professional network authentically!
- Utilize Westmont College's alumni network on LinkedIn
- Checklist for your LinkedIn Profile
- What to Do With All Those Random LinkedIn Invites
- Your Network and Degrees of Connection
- 24 LinkedIn Rules You Might Be Breaking
Networking and Connections can actually be the most important part of finding a job. Businesses might even be more likely to hire you if you have a connection/relationship to someone within the company. Leveraging meaningful connections and relationships that you have made can help you land your next job - so start connecting!
Quick tip on connecting via LinkedIn. Send you send a connection request, try to include a note in your connection request. Give the person you want to connect with some point of connection or reason you want to connect with them (ie: "Thanks for guest speaking in my class at Westmont...", or "I read your recent article online..."). Taking this extra step will likely improve your response rates.
- The Importance of Networking (and How to Do It Well)
- Learn About the Importance of Career Networking
- 5 things every college student should know about networking
Small talk is a great way to break the ice and get to know someone. As a Liberal Arts student, you have been learning and perfecting communication, emotional intelligence, and people skills since day one on campus! Read more about how to be confident engaging in small talk:
Check out our comprehensive ! Being prepared during an interview is essential when trying to get a job. Research the company before interviewing so you are informed on what they do and how you can be an asset. This will equip you with confidence and the ability to tailor your answers during the interview.
- Successful Interviewing: Before, during, & after an interview
- Phone interview cheat sheet from Glassdoor
- Preparing for Interviews
- 5 ways to sell yourself in a job interview
Be able to Tell Your Story (also known as your story statement or elevator pitch). "Tell me about yourself," is a question that can be answered in a brief summary of your education and experience, what you're skilled in and what you're interested in.
Live within your means! Set a budget and stick to it! Use cash or a debit card so you are not saddled with credit card debt. Set up an appointment with a financial advisor to figure out a plan (especially after you land your first job).
- Free Budget Tool from Every Dollar, by Dave Ramsey
- Free Monthly Budget Sheet from CFPB
- How to Successfully Live Within Your Means
- What to do during a financial downturn - Business Insider shares letter from Natalie Taylor (CFP, BFA). She has shared financial and budgeting tips to Westmont students in the "Personal & Professional Development" course
- What Do Financial Advisors Do?
- 10 Essential Money-Saving Tips for College Graduates
Finding a place to live can be a daunting, time-consuming task, but it's also exciting and exploratory, too! Start with connections (ask around) and research the area that you want to live in
Still unsure about what the next step is? Considering graduate school but not sure what to study, where to go, or maybe even why!? Find more information about advanced degrees.