RA Selection RA Agreement
Academic Year 2021-2022
The following are expectations for you as a Resident Assistant employed by Westmont College. You will:
- Live publicly and privately in a manner that is consistent with a commitment to Christian discipleship, and Westmont's Community Life Statement.
- Have complete knowledge of, personally uphold, and enforce all the policies for students as listed in the Westmont College Student Handbook. Any Level II or Level III policy violation will most likely result in immediate dismissal from the position.
- Be responsible for your behavior at all times (whether acting personally or in your role as an RA) while participating in any form of social media or online communities. RAs are expected to refrain from engaging in harassing, demeaning, threatening, or otherwise inappropriate behaviors. Further, no activity should depict or encourage behavior contradictory to the college’s Community Life Statement or student conduct policies. If a current RA engages in inappropriate online posting there will be a conversation between the RA, Resident Director, and Director of Residence Life to discuss the situation and determine whether the student should be permitted to continue to serve in the role.
- Be available to residents on non-“On-duty” nights. No less than three full nights per week (including “On-duty” nights) should be dedicated to your section and hall.
- Be available to residents on non-“On-duty” nights. No less than three full nights per week
should be dedicated to your section and hall.
- Actively contribute to the development and support of fellow staff members by attending mandatory weekly staff meetings with your hall staff, participating in fall staff retreat, and consistently keeping regularly scheduled individual meetings with your RD and other RAs.
- Actively contribute to the development and support of fellow staff members by attending mandatory weekly staff meetings with your hall staff, participating in a fall staff retreat, and consistently keeping regularly scheduled individual meetings with your RD and other RAs.
- Commit yourself to expanding the multicultural atmosphere of the campus through the support of programming efforts and campus initiatives, and through modeling sensitivity toward issues of diversity.
- Be knowledgeable of campus resources and direct residents to these resources as appropriate.
- Participate in the recruitment and selection of resident assistants for the following year.
In addition to the above expectations, you are asked to adhere to the following policies:
- Additional employment, volunteer work, or involvement in other campus organizations shall be limited and subject to the approval of the Resident Director, in consultation with the Director of Residence Life.
- You may be absent from campus on your “weekend away” once per month. “Weekends away” will begin at noon on Friday and end at 7 pm on Sunday. Remember that a good RA is a present RA! Weekday nights away should be limited and must be consulted with your RD first. Resident Directors may make exceptions to this policy if appropriate.
- Model a strong commitment to your academic endeavor by maintaining a current GPA of 3.0 or above. If you drop below a 3.0 cumulative GPA, you will most likely be asked to limit some or all of your campus involvement (i.e. other work, clubs, etc.).
- Model a commitment to chapel attendance as outlined in the Westmont Student Handbook.
Your employment contract begins on Wednesday, August 11 at 2 pm and ends Sunday, May 8 at 5 pm. You should arrive to campus no later than this time and are required to stay until the end of your contract time. While you are on contract as a Resident Assistant, you are allowed to take the following breaks. You should pay close attention to the dates and times of these breaks as you plan your time away. Please consult with your Resident Director and this schedule before making travel arrangements.
|Break||When you can leave||When you need to return|
Back to Campus
|Wednesday, August 11 at 2 pm|
|Fall Four Day||Friday, October 8 at Noon||Tuesday, October 12 at 6 pm|
|Thanksgiving||Tuesday, November 23 at Noon||Sunday, November 28 at 6 pm|
|Christmas||Saturday, December 18 at 5 pm||Friday, January 7 at 4 pm|
|President's Holiday||Friday, February 18 at Noon||Tuesday, February 22 at 6 pm|
|Spring Break||Friday, March 11 at Noon||Sunday, March 20 at 6 pm|
|Easter Recess||Thursday, April 14 at Noon||Monday, April 18 at 6 pm|
|End of Contract||Sunday, May 8 at 5 pm|
Modifications to this schedule must be approved by the Director of Residence Life or your Resident Director.
Your remuneration for the fulfillment of these expectations, policies, and work schedules will be a fully paid room (2020-2021: $9,220) plus a $340 stipend that will be paid upon completion of Fall RA training.
Your performance as a staff member and as a student at Westmont College will be periodically reviewed by your Resident Director and the Director of Residence Life. You may be asked to resign your position if you are not adhering to the specific details or the spirit of this agreement.
These bases of employment are set forth as a foundation for facilitating your success as a Resident Assistant, and fostering a productive and growing relationship between the Resident Director representing Westmont College and you as Resident Assistant.