Disability Services ESA Quick Facts
For a student to qualify to have an emotional support animal (ESA) in his or her residence hall:
- The student must have a disability as defined by the ADA;
- The student must be registered with the ODS office;
- The student must have an already established relationship with the animal.
- The emotional support animal must be approved through the ODS office as an official accommodation, in conjunction with other offices as needed.
- The student owner must notify ODS if the animal is no longer needed or is no longer residing on College property. If the animal will be replaced, the student owner must submit a new request.
EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMALS IN COLLEGE-OWNED RESIDENCES:
- An ESA is only allowed in the student’s residence hall room and the student owner is responsible for following all rules related to the restrictions of animals from buildings on the campus other than their residence hall. ESA’s do not accompany students to class, the dining hall or other campus venues.
- Must be responsible for, attend to and be in full control of the ESA at all times. The ESA shall have a harness, leash, tether or be transported in an appropriate enclosure whenever it is outside of the residence hall room where it will be housed.
- Must provide a safe location for the ESA or appropriate container if the student owner is not in the room with the animal.